Shelley Long, Ph.D.
Instilling hope. Inspiring authenticity.
I am a licensed psychologist and licensed professional counselor supervisor (LPC-S). I have worked in the mental health field since 2003, and have worked with a wide range of diverse clients in various settings, including public and private university counseling centers, non-profit counseling agencies, a domestic violence shelter, volunteer organizations, and in special education psychological services in public schools. I use a strengths-based approach to help you identify what you want to get out of counseling and how you can use your strengths to get where you want to be. I work to help you identify what could bring more joy and less stress to your life, and collaboratively work with you to help you achieve those goals.
I work with adolescents and adults using a Relational-Cultural framework combined with Humanistic, Psychodynamic, Positive Psychology, Mindfulness, and Cognitive Behavioral theories. I fully believe in treating clients holistically, as the mind-body-spirit connection is undeniable. I tailor my approach to each individual client’s multi-faceted, multicultural needs. I am very passionate about helping people and firmly believe that building authentic relationships with my clients is essential to helping them get the most out of therapy and find the peace they desire. In other words, I will always treat you with kindness, respect, warmth and genuineness while taking into account your social identities and cultural background. My practice is grounded in research, using evidence-based treatments to help you feel better faster. I’m happy to share articles on my theoretical background if you’d like some light reading. I also use humor (when appropriate), and believe in the healing powers of laughter.
I feel overwhelmingly grateful that I get to do what I love for a living. Getting to share in the life journeys of my clients is such an honor and privilege. Forming genuine relationships with people while witnessing their growth and healing…I can’t think of a better way to spend my days.
- B.S. in Psychology, Texas A&M University
- M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Sam Houston State University
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, Texas Woman’s University; program accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA)
- APA-Accredited Pre-Doctoral Internship, Dallas Metropolitan Consortium in Psychology (Southern Methodist University Counseling & Psychiatric Services and University of Texas at Dallas Student Counseling Center)
- Assistant Director of Counselor Development & Wellness, University of North Texas Counseling & Testing Services
- Staff Psychologist, Texas Christian University Counseling & Mental Health Center
- Practicum Counselor at University of Texas at Dallas Counseling Center
- Practicum Counselor at Galaxy Counseling Center (provided individual, group, familiy, and play therapy at community mental health agency)
- LPC-Intern and LPC at Austin County Education Cooperative (psychological services for special education students)
- Counselor Intern at Sam Houston State University Student Counseling Center
- Red Cross Volunteer, Emergency counseling services for Hurricane Katrina evacuees
- Child Care Advocate Volunteer, SAAFE (Sexual Assault and Abuse Free Environment) House